Tags as clickable links

I recently received an email from a user who requested some enhancements related to tags. This was # 3 on his list:

The Archive treats tags as links. So if I’m viewing a note which has a tag, I can click on that tag and the sidebar will show me all notes having that tag (as if I searched for that #tag).

I’m working on an implementation of this for the next release, probably 11.2.0.

1 Like

This has been implemented in 11.2.0.

I’m confused. Does this mean that #hashtag in body will be clickable? If so this is not the case for me (Version 14.2.5 (642)).

Besides, hashtags on the top of the page in display view are rendered as links as expected, but clicking on them does nothing.

@zgr Let me try to answer your questions here:

See the Knowledge Base for all the documentation about tags.

Here’s a quote from that page:

For display purposes, tags will often appear in italics, above the title field, and without any identifying label. When tags appear in this way, they are clickable, and clicking on a tag will take you to the Tags tab on the left side of the Collection window, will reveal all of the Notes having that tag, and will hide any Notes that might otherwise have appeared above the selected tag. In other words, clicking on the tag for a Note will quickly show you all of the Notes with that same tag.

So no, hashtags within the body of a note will not be recognized as tags.

Hashtags that appear as some form of metadata, at the top of the note file, should be clickable, and should show you the disclosed tag on the Tags tab.

If you are seeing different behavior, then I would appreciate more details, so that I can try to debug.

Thanks for posting!

@hbowie thank you for the clarification !

I’m on latest beta of Notenik on Ventura 13.5.1. Clicking the tag does nothing. Even more interesting, it never worked for me since I started using Notenik about 9 months ago. That’s why I was confused about the tags’ behavior.

Here is the url of the tag summarized, which may help . By the way I have 6 note containing that tag.

notenik://expand?path=/Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application%20Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft/&tag=summarized

I use tags cloud, and they work as expected. Below is the url of the same tag from the cloud.

file:///Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application%20Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft/temp_display.html#tags.summarized

Save Tags with # signs? is checked in settings.

These are from the logs

Received an Apple Event
Apple Event passed URL: notenik://expand?path=/Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application%20Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft/&tag=summarized
Could not fashion a URL from this string: notenik://expand?path=/Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft/&tag=summarized

Please let me know if you need more details.

Thanks.

This may be an issue with the way I was doing percent encoding of the generated URLs. I’ve made a modification to this process in the latest beta. I would appreciate if you could test this and let me know if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Hey @hbowie, I’m still having the same issue. The log is below:

Received an Apple Event
Apple Event passed URL: notenik://expand?path=/Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application%20Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft&tag=summarized
Could not fashion a URL from this string: notenik://expand?path=/Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft&tag=summarized

is there any more detail that I can send you?

I’m now thinking this is an issue with Ventura.

I came across a note on this page:

Important

For apps linked on or after iOS 17 and aligned OS versions, URL parsing has updated from the obsolete RFC 1738/1808 parsing to the same RFC 3986 parsing as URLComponents. This unifies the parsing behaviors of the URL and URLComponents APIs. Now, URL automatically percent- and IDNA-encodes invalid characters to help create a valid URL.

As a test, I fed this exact string…

notenik://expand?path=/Users/zgr/Library/Containers/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Data/Library/Application Support/co.noteplan.NotePlan3/Notes/ft&tag=summarized

…into the URL initializer, while running on Sonoma, and it resolved without any errors.

I am going to try to make another code change to provide a fallback for Ventura, and I’ll include this in the next beta. Look for it in the next day or two.

1 Like

Check out the latest beta and let me know if this works any better.

Thanks!