Notenik 14.2.5 Available for Beta Testing on April 11th, 2024

Well, I almost immediately discovered a bug in the last beta after uploading it to this site, so here’s another one, with at least one bug fixed!

Again, this has a new folder field that can be used to create and manage sub-folders within a parent.

This beta version is no longer available. Look for a later beta release or the most recent Mac App Store release.

So far so good! This update is a game-changer!

Thank you.

1 Like

Only had the most basic of plays with this but it certainly seems to do what it is meant to. It appears to only work with 1 level of nested folders but i would think that would probably suffice for most needs.

Would definitely like to see some sorting option that would show and use the sub-folder name.

Also wondering if / how this would affect the likes of mirroring - would folders be included in the mirror? I tried to test this but though the folder got created nothing was mirrored (sidenote: the mirror folder showed in the folder dropdown list)

Another query…can we can use logic based on folder names in reports / output files etc?

After some housekeeping, I’ve noticed that folder field is not actually included in the text file like seq and level do. This would mean that currently only possibility is to assign the file to a subfolder is via Notenik’s edit mode. I’d prefer to have the folder field to be included in the text.

I’m having trouble changing the folder name in a note. I’ve entered a folder name, that worked. Now I want to move it to another folder. I’ve opened the note in edit mode and selected a different folder. I try to save and the note does not return to display mode. The only way I can return to display mode is to reset the original folder value.

I’ve also found a note that has been assigned a folder but remains in the parent folder.

I was just tripped up by this aspect of the new feature. My notes all have backlinks, so I used a batch find/replace to add a “folder” line, copying the backlink. That didn’t work at all. :slight_smile:

In my case, . in folder names did not work, in fact the notes disappears from the sidebar if their parent folder has . between the words such as folder.name

I have some occasional freezes in the edit|display windows. Not pretty but restarting the app resolves this issue. Maybe you could try, to see if folder editing works as expected.

Thanks for all the commentary. I won’t have any more in-depth time for testing, debugging, coding until Monday, but wanted to clarify intentions a bit.

1. This feature is only meant to add one level of notes sub-folders beneath a parent folder – no sub-folders within sub-folders.

2. Some sorting options involving sub-folders will be coming.

3. Even though the inclusion of a folder field in the parent collection template file is the thing that enables sub-folders, folder names are not stored within any of the text files. Instead, folder names simply reflect the names of the sub-folders in which the notes are placed.

4. You should be able to reference a folder field in a merge template/report/script just as you would any other field.

5. I’ll have to get back to you on the mirroring question, as well as the backlinks issue.

6. If you wish to change a note’s folder field value outside of Notenik, then you would need to move the note to a different sub-folder (as opposed to editing the contents of the note via a text editor, etc.).

7. Dots in folder names? Let me investigate.

8. If you are encountering problems, then some sort of sample data would be tremendously helpful.

Thanks!

1 Like

Not sure how the second point here can be true if the first is also true. I may be missing something though.

My rationale for asking about this is that I would be using sub-folders for a reason and it would therefore be good if we could use that reasoning when processing notes.

Responding to concerns expressed by @oddballs

I try to follow two principles in Notenik, as best I can:

1. Every field value entered by the user should be saved to disk, and should be accessible, and capable of being modified, outside of Notenik, as well as through the Notenik user interface.

2. Redundant data should not be stored to disk, because that just presents an opportunity for the data to get out of sync, which causes all sorts of problems. So there should only ever be one source of truth.

In terms of this new folder field, here’s the way I’ve applied these two principles.

1. The value of the folder field is saved to disk as the enclosing folder name. In order to change this value outside of Notenik, you can create new folders and move notes between folders using whatever tools (the Finder, the command line, etc.) you would normally use for these sorts of file and folder management tasks.

2. The folder field values are not stored within the text files, because this would result in two – possibly conflicting – sources of truth. In other words, if you edited the value of a field inside of a file, but did not move that file to the corresponding folder, then things would be inconsistent. Conversely, if you moved that file to a different folder, but did not edit the value within the file, then again things would be inconsistent.

In terms of merge template/report/query/script processing, Notenik always creates an internal model of a collection within memory, and then uses that memory model for all of its query/reporting functions. So if you are running a query, then Notenik doesn’t care how a field value was represented on disk, so long as it is stored correctly within memory.

I just ran a simple test using the Query builder, and confirmed that a folder field could be accessed just like any other field.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes